Time to show some love to our trees in Candler Park!
The Friends of Candler Park and Park Pride are proud to announce the return of MULCH MADNESS, March 7 from 9:00 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Aside from the usual crowd we have the Cub Scouts from 586 to help. Our scope of work will be mulching most trees in Candler Park. So if you happen to be available- we would love to have you! Plenty of gloves and tools will be on hand. Free Work Day T shirt while supplies last. www.FriendsofCandlerPark.org to sign up!
A really good job of mulching tree will offer many benefits:
- Inhibits weed germination and growth. (Weeds are not only unsightly, but they also steal resources from desirable plants!)
- Holds in soil moisture, protecting tree from drying out.
- Moderates soil-temperature fluctuations (This benefit is especially valuable during that turbulent-weather period in spring.)
- It protects tree roots from winter cold and helps prevent frost-heaving, in which plants are literally pushed out of the ground by the natural expansion and contraction of the soil as it cools off and heats up
- In hot-summer areas, helps keep tree roots cooler
- Depending on what you use, adds a bit of welcome nutrition to trees as it breaks down.