From Edi Kelman:
Sunday May 20 was a splendid early summer afternoon for the First E family to share fellowship with friends in history, the Antioch East Baptist Church of Edgewood – 1920 builders of their common sanctuary, the Old Stone Church.
At this Second Annual “Church in the Park” celebration in Candler Park, more than 100 folks of all ages shared good will and appreciation for the return of 137-year-old Antioch to the 19th century-grounds of its founding families.
Two Antioch Elders and former Candler Park residents were honored and awarded plaques: Mother Catherine Seals, who turns 100 in August, and Deacon Ralph Latimore of 82-years, born here among his pioneering family of three generations.
A full-bus tour to the BiRacial History Project sites featured a stop at the new Commemorative Bench at 420 Oakdale Road, where early neighborhood residents posed with their descendants, in memory and honor of Antioch’s First Church Site there from 1877 to 1916.
Submitted by Edith Kelman, BiRacial History Project Manager
Photo caption: Antioch East Baptist Church early-Candler Park resident families & descendents gather at the 420 Oakdale Road Commemorative Bench - marking Antioch's first church site from 1877 - 1916, when the sanctuary burned to the ground.