This event will take place in Candler Park on Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 6:30 pm.
Press release below, and see the festival web site.
New Belgium Brewing’s “Tour de Fat” Rolls into Atlanta on May 11 for a Day of Bikes, Beer and Bemusement
Still Seeking Car-for-Bike Swapper – Submit Your Entry Today
Ft. Collins, CO, April 19, 2013 – If dressing freaky, riding bikes, listening to bands and drinking beer are things you like, then don’t miss the most FUN fundraiser around...Tour de Fat is coming back to town! New Belgium Brewing, maker of Fat Tire Amber Ale and other award-winning beers, is kicking off the 14th year of Tour de Fat in Atlanta on Saturday, May 11 in a new location: Candler Park.
Gather up your friends, family and neighbors and come enjoy eclectic entertainment and stellar beer, all while helping local bicycle nonprofits raise funds. The event is free, yet all proceeds from beer and merchandise sales and donations from parade participants will help make Atlanta a better place to ride a bike. Follow Tour de Fat’s 12-city adventure on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TourDeFat.
To properly kick-start the festival, Tour de Fat begins with a giant bicycle parade that weaves through city streets. Each parade route is designed for people of all skill levels; everyone is welcome and colorful costumes are encouraged. For the rest of the afternoon, the stages heat up with world-class acts like Beats Antique and Futurebirds and the park becomes a celebration unlike any other.
Kids of all ages can ride funky bikes, eat delicious fare, relax in the grass, and participate in games and activities such as a “Thousand Person Dance Contest”, which will determine the winner of a 2013 New Belgium Cruiser Bike. Everyone 21 and older can sample new and classic favorites from New Belgium, including the brewery’s flagship brew, Fat Tire, this summer’s seasonal, Rolle Bolle, and selections from the acclaimed Lips of Faith series.
“Tour De Fat is where everyone can enjoy the unexpected,” said Matt Kowal, New Belgium Brewing’s Tour de Fat Impresario. “It’s a festival for all ages and stages of life, from young bike lovers to seasoned beer lovers and everyone in between. We guarantee you’ll be inspired by interactive art, music and comedy performances, as well as employee-owned brewing, for the year to come!”
In every Tour de Fat city, one brave role model will step on stage to trade in his or her car keys and pledge to live car-free for one year. Each swapper is awarded a stipend to buy their own commuter bike and receives rock star status when the crowd goes wild in support of their commitment. We’re now on the hunt for a swapper in Atlanta! Car-
for-Bike Swappers are chosen after submitting an application describing why they are ready to give up their vehicle for the gift of two wheels. To apply, visit: www.newbelgium.com/tour-de-fat.
Tour de Fat seeks to leave as small an environmental imprint as possible. New Belgium partners with recycOil to use biofuels from recycled cooking oil to power the festival’s transportation, stages, sound, food trucks and more. The stage is decked out in recycled materials; attendees are encouraged to ride bikes or carpool; and recycle and compost receptacles are available throughout to help divert waste from landfills.
Saturday, May 11
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Beats Antique (http://beatsantique.com) Futurebirds (http://www.futurebirdsmusic.com)
Atlanta Bicycle Coalition (http://www.atlantabike.org)
SOPO Bicycle Cooperative (http://sopobikes.org)
The Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association (SORBA) (http://sorba.org)
Admission – FREE!
Parade – Suggested donation of $5 or more Beer – $5 for a 16 oz. pour
See www.facebook.com/TourDeFat for the Tour de Fat credo, schedules, videos and to submit an entry to swap your gas-guzzler for a fancy new bicycle.
About New Belgium Brewing Company
New Belgium Brewing, makers of Fat Tire Amber Ale and a host of Belgian-inspired beers, is recognized as one of Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work and one of the Wall Street Journal’s Best Small Businesses. The 100 percent employee owned brewery is a Platinum-level Bicycle Friendly Business as designated by the League of American Bicyclists, and one of World Blu’s most democratic U.S. businesses. In addition to Fat Tire, New Belgium brews eight year round beers; Ranger IPA, Rampant Imperial IPA, Shift Pale Lager, Sunshine Wheat, 1554 Black Ale, Blue Paddle Pilsener, Abbey Belgian Ale and Trippel. Learn more at www.newbelgium.com.
Communications Strategy Group (w) 303.433.7020
(c) 720.244.4268 email@example.com
Additional information for Candler Park residents:
- Please see permit info and parade route here.
- No road closures
- Setup: Thursday, 7AM-7PM, Dress Rehearsal: Friday 8am to 6pm, Teardown: Saturday, 6:30-10PM
- When will the festival start and end: Saturday, 10AM-6:30PM
- Decibel levels: 90 dbs at the property line, 106 at the front of house
- All information flyers will enco urage public transportation.
- Available public off-street parking? Bike valet will be available. The majority of attendees arrive by bicyle.
- Security: We are contracting with Signal 88 Security to provide 20 trained security staff. We are also working with Lt. McGee from Atlanta Police to prov ide officers for the bike ride and for the festival.
- Traffic plans: Will encourage patrons to arrive by bike or utilize MARTA.
- Buses: Performers will be parked in the parking lot of Candler Park. Buses will not be idling, but we will have a “green room” set-up with air conditioning for them.
- Trash and use of recyclable materials and/or multi-use cups to reduce waste: This is a zero waste goal event. Last years’ events re cycled 95% of their refuse. We are contracting with South Green Industries to take the composting a nd Waste Management to take the recycling.
- No stable of cabs available
- Neighborhood point of contact for illegally parked cars and/or overcrowding on streets? 911 and Matt Garbett (404) 964-9301