This year's Sweetwater 420 Fest 5K Road Race will take place on Saturday, April 20th at 9 AM. Packet pick-up will take place starting at 7:00 AM at Epworth Methodist on the corner of McLendon Ave and Mell Ave. This is one of CPNO's biggest annual fundraisers and we need your help!
***Look halfway down the page past Registration...WATER TEAM...we need YOU***
This year’s race features a new course which begins on McLendon Ave just west of Mell Ave. Both lanes of McLendon Ave will be shut down between Mell Ave and Euclid Terrace from 8 AM to approximately 9:15 AM. In addition, the following roads will be affected:
Northbound lane of Moreland Ave from McLendon to Fairview Road
Eastbound lane of Fairview Road from Moreland Ave to Ponce de Leon Ave
Eastbound lane of Ponce de Leon Ave from Fairview Road to South Ponce de Leon
Eastbound lane of South Ponce de Leon from Ponce de Leon Ave to Clifton Road
Southbound lane of Clifton Road from South Ponce de Leon to Marlbrook Drive
Westbound lane Marlbrook Drive from Clifton Road to Page Ave
Northbound lane of Page Ave between Marlbrook and Clifton Terrace
Both lanes of Clifton Terrace from Page Ave to Terrace Ave will be closed or heavily affected from 9 AM to 11 AM.
The race will finish on Clifton Terrace and all of the runners will congregate on Clifton Terrance near Jackson Hill Baptist. Please come join the fun as a volunteer or spectator. Hang around for the festivities, beer and music as the second day of Sweetwater 420 Fest begins at eleven. All race proceeds will benefit Candler Park Neighborhood Organization, Inc.
For detailed info, please visit the event website.
Start Area Map
Finish Area Map
The Midsummer Music and Food Festival has submitted a permit to return to Candler Park June 15-16. I have a copy of the permit application now, but am having difficulty uploading it. You may view it here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jnc21utybvircf8/B_XNSehdJ8.
I also submitted a list of questions based on the questions that came up during the 420 Discussions. I have attached their responses as well.
We will be voting on the event permit at the CPNO membership meeting on April 15, 2013.
President, Candler Park Neighborhood Organization
New Belguim Brewing in cooperation with three different local bike non-profit organizations has submitted an application to put on Tour de Fat in Candler Park on May 11th. The event includes multiple games, an eccentric circus, and a bike parade.
I have attached the permits for the event to this post as well as a set of questions that the board asked the event organizers based on questions that came up during the Sweetwater 420 discussions.
The event was originally scheduled by Piedmont Park, but due to new regulations regarding the amount of time between events (60 days) the city would not allow the event to occur at Piedmont Park. As such an amended permit was submitted to the city, and we will vote on the permit on Monday April 15 at membership meeting. There will also be a presentation by the event coordinator.
There will be a parade in the morning. You can view the route here: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2127571
President, Candler Park Neighborhood Organization
Festival weekend information from event organizer Jenn Bensch:
ROAD CLOSURE APRIL 19, 2013 8:15 AM - APRIL 21, 2013 11:59 PM
CANDLER PARK DRIVE (ALL CARS MUST BE GONE BY 8:00 A.M. 4/19/2013)
MILLER AVENUE (OAKDALE TO CANDLER PARK DRIVE)
BENNING PLACE (OAKDALE TO CANDLER PARK DRIVE)
NORTH AVENUE (OAKDALE TO CANDLER PARK DRIVE)
● All roads listed above will be RESIDENT AND EVENT ACCESS ONLY.
● Must have a valid driver’s license or event permit pass to access these areas.
● PLEASE OBEY ALL POSTED AND STREET MARKERED SIGNS.
● Towing will be strictly enforced in this areas due to the need for emergency vehicle access.
● CANDLER PARK DRIVE will be ONE-WAY from NORTH AVENUE to MCLENDON AVE.
● CANDLER PARK DRIVE
○ NO PARKING ON EITHER SIDE EXCEPT BY FESTIVAL PERMIT
○ MUST PARK VERTICALLY IN PERMITTED AREAS
■ Bumper should be be parallel with the curb
MARY LIN AFTERNOON DISMISSAL
Parents and guardians, please note that there is road closure scheduled on Candler Park Drive, April 19-21, 2013.
This will affect the elementary school for the afternoon pick-up on Friday, April 19 only. The road will remain open until 8:15 a.m. Friday morning to allow all students and parents regularly scheduled access on their morning routines.
Logistics of the road closure and student pick-up:
● Candler Park Drive will become a one-way from North Ave. to Mclendon for this closure.
● The following roads will be barricaded at Oakdale to manage the Candler Park Drive closing properly: Benning, Miller and North.
● For school access, all parents must enter the North Ave. blockade to access Candler Park Drive.
● There will be an officer at the corner of North and Candler Park Drive to help the flow of traffic in this area.
● Please communicate to any scheduled police officers that you are there for student pick-up should you be stopped.
● Once you are in, please drive in the typical carpool lane and wait for release.
● Everyone will need to be carpool on this date, or be a walker. No one will be able to pull in, park and get his or her child. (If you are driving, please enter the one-way through the North Ave. blockade)
● We will hold all cars in the carpool lane until the buses have loaded and vacated (there is an additional pass lane on North and Candler Park Drive even with the carpool lane blockage.)
● Cars will then pull in the roundabout, load, and then pull out onto Candler Park Drive heading right or towards McLendon Ave.
A great shot of yesterday's easter egg hunt from neighbor Allen Broyles. Thank you, Allen!
It was a perfect spring day and Candler Park kids turned out in droves for the big hunt. A great time was had by all!
Lining up in the age 4-6 area
And they're off!
The three golden egg winners:
Obi Edelstein in the 0-3 age group
Max Uppelschoten in the 4-6 age group
And Jeb Davis in the 7+ age group
Don't forget - CP Easter Egg Hunt TODAY at 12 noon at Candler Park.
1. 299 Moreland Avenue. Applicant seeks a special exception from zoning regulations to reduce the required on-site parking from 43 spaces to 30 on-site parking spaces to allow for the conversion of an existing building to an eat / drink establishment (pending lot approval from the Office of Planning).