This will appear in the upcoming Messenger and was submitted by the event promoter. She will be at our membership meeting on Feb. 21 to discuss and answer questions. CPNO members will vote on their festival application, and the outcome of that vote will be taken into consideration by the NPU and the City.
Sweetwater 420 Fest -- April 15-17
By Jennifer Bensch, SweetWater 420 Fest Event Promoter
Small changes, big differences
It’s almost April and that means the Sweetwater 420 Fest is coming back to Candler Park! The festival has been a big success in the past and has grown in size each year. This year, Sweetwater is proposing some changes that will reflect this growth. The goal is to enhance the patron and community experience and to maintain safety for all.
1) The festival has asked to be able to open their doors on Friday evening, starting at 4:20 and ending at 10pm.
2) On the permit application the event is asking to begin setup on Monday. This is 2 days prior to last year’s request. This is only to be able to gain access to the park to begin the staging of equipment and trucks. The major setup will begin Wed and be finalized Thursday. They hope to have everything removed from the park by Monday evening 4/18/2011. Their permit asks to be able to stay until Tuesday just in case there are a few pieces of equipment that have yet to be removed.
3) There will be a stage on the outskirts of the soccer field in the corner nearest the number 2 tee box of The Candler Park Golf Course. They will be using rola-track to load in and load out all equipment on the field. The rola-track has special holes in it to allow aeration. This will preserve the grass and field.
4) During the actual festival event days the sidewalk entrance near the number 2 tee box will not be utilized except by festival staff and CPNO runners. There are small motorized carts transporting festival equipment and goods on this pathway. Closing it to event staff only will ensure the safety of all patrons and area residents. (During the small window of time the CPNO race patrons are directed down this path to the main stage there will be no motorized carts allowed.)
While the Sweetwater 420 Fest has grown over the years we have always been a great partner to the neighborhood. While we talk about the event changes it is also important to highlight the Big Differences they make in our community.
1. We have again agreed to sponsor our neighborhood CPNO race, The SweetWater 420 Fest Annual 5K, which we have expanded by 700 runners for a total of 2000. With the funds from this event the CPNO is able to complete many projects in our neighborhood and it accounted for 31% of our income in 2010 and almost 50% in 2009.
2. We partner with the Mary Lynn Elementary PTA by allowing them to operate the Kids Area bounce houses. The PTA keep 100% of proceeds.
3. We partner with Epworth Church to allow the sale of hotdogs for no fee and 100% of proceeds back to the church
4. The Candler Park 420 Fest Walking Trail -- A portion of proceeds from the 2010 SweetWater 420 Fest were donated to a Park Pride Fiscal Account earmarked for "The Candler Park 420 Fest Walking Trail". The available funds are $4,250.00. The trail will be a mulched path with landscape timbers to define the path and help hold the mulch in place. The path will be combined with an effort to clear out underbrush and add educational signs regarding the plants and other natural features of the
ravine. The ravine largely has been a forgotten and unused (except by isolated urban campers) part of Candler Park. The goal of the clearing and trail building is to make the area more inviting and encourage more traffic to the area. Trails are among the most popular features in most parks, and the ravine provides a natural experience missing from the more developed areas of the park. SweetWater Brewery has graciously offered its staff for a work day to help complete the work for the path. We have approx. 20 volunteers thru Friends of Candler Park and Operation Boot Camp. This is a very labor intensive project and we could always use more help. Please come out to show your support. Work Day: Friday March 18th 11:00am until it is done. Location: Candler Park - 1500 McLendon Ave, ATL, GA 30307
We are excited to come back for another festival.
If there are any questions or concerns you may feel free to discuss them with us at the membership meeting on Feb. 21st. After discussion, there will be a vote to pass along to the NPU and the city.