The Candler Park Neighborhood Organization monthly meeting is this Monday (March 21st). We'll start with socializing (wine, beer, and snacks) at 6:30 and move on to general business at 7pm.
BIG NEWS: We have child care available starting this month! It will be in the playroom below our meeting room. Please, no children younger than 2. We have room for about 15 kids, first come first served (so show up early and mingle!)
On the agenda this month:
- Review an updated safety plan for the Sweetwater 420 Fest
- Vote on funding an Easter Egg Hunt with Friends of Candler Park
- Vote on our proposal for Atlanta's Comprehensive Development Plan (see below for more information)
Snacks this month will be provided by Front Page News! Many thanks to Front Page News for supporting the CPNO.
First Existentialist Congregation (470 Candler Park Drive) -- Across from the golf course
March 21st at 6:30pm (this Monday)
We will vote on several important issues at this meeting, including three zoning variances (all of which have been recommended for approval by the zoning board):
1) 506 Sterling -- reduced setbacks
2) 534 Oakdale -- reduced setback
3) 1233 McLendon -- fence & gate height exceptions
We will vote on approving the 420 5k operating budget of $7,650 + $16.25 / runner (800 signups to break even).
We will vote on recommending the inclusion of the following policies in Atlanta's Comprehensive Development Plan. Each policy will be voted on independently, so you may support some of these but not others:
1) Preserve the single-family residential character of the Candler Park neighborhood.
2) Promote the rezoning of non-residential properties fronting on DeKalb Avenue from Moreland Avenue to Clifton to Neighborhood Commercial or a quality of life zoning district in order to encourage destination oriented and pedestrian friendly activity through mixed use development.
3) Support funding for a study of the impact of a road diet on DeKalb Avenue turning the reversible lane into a left turn lane.
4) Support greater density around the Candler Park MARTA Station
5) Maintain and improve existing green space in Candler, Iverson and Freedom Parks.
6) Support the current RG-2 zoning and low density residential land use for properties located at the intersection of Euclid Avenue and Goldsboro Road.
7) Support the continued naturalization of the creek in Candler Park.
8) Support the continued construction of walking/bike trails with emphasis on connecting Candler Park Neighborhood with the BeltLine.
9) Support the continued development of NC-1 properties that would promote pedestrian safety.
10) Support traffic calming measures that create safe bicycle lanes.
11) Support reinstatement of funding for the L5P Police mini-precinct.
12) Support funding for the rehabilitation of Atlanta Fire Station #12 on DeKalb Avenue.
13) Support funding for public art in Freedom Park.
14) Support findings and recommendations from the DeKalb Avenue Corridor Study created in 1990 and the Little 5 Points Study created in 1992.
15) Support the recommendations of the Ponce de Leon Moreland Avenue North LCI study as approved by the City.